Unit 8 Fashion
I. Teaching aims and learning objectives
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. describe features, colours and materials of clothing items;
2. make a plan and some sketches before writing an article;
3. design some clothes and describe them to the class.
II. Teaching contents
1. New words and expressions: jacket, feature, dark, material, design, model,
include, dark blue
2. New structures: My design includes a pair of blue jeans.
III. Focus of the lesson and predicted area of difficulty
1. Use the useful expressions to write about the design;
2. Design clothes and draw some sketches.
IV. Teaching procedures
Step 1 Lead-in
T: Look at the two pictures. What are they doing? Do you like watching the fashion show? Why do you like watching the fashion show?
Step 2 Presentation
T: What do you think of their clothes?
S: They are in fashion.
T: Who designs the clothes?
S: The designers.
T: What is she doing?
S: She is designing the clothes.
T: What qualities should a designer have?
S: She/He should be clever and creative.
Step 3 Brainstorming
T: How do we finish a fashion design?
S: We should choose what clothes to design. Then we should talk about their features, materials and colours.
Step 4 Competition
T: When we talk about fashion design, we should talk about what to design, its colour, material and feature. Now I will divide our class into two parts. One is the girls’group and the other is the boys’group. Let’s have a competition. Let’s say as many words as possible.
Step 5 Reading
1.Look at Sandy’s plan. Explain the plan to the students.
Sandy wants to be a designer. Read her article about her fashion design and then answer some questions.
2. Let students ask and answer the questions in pairs.
3. Ask students to read the article aloud and then talk about the general
idea of each paragraph.
Paragraph 1: general introduction
Paragraph 2: about the shirt
Paragraph 3: about the jacket